A comprehensive tagging strategy sets your campaign up for success and provides robust audience insights. The following instructions walk you through the process for placing Q Pixels in Tag Commander.
⚠️ What you need to continue:
In this article:
- Q Pixel in Tag Commander
- Tagging Remaining Site Activity
- Additional Instructions: Creating Rules
- Adding Variables for Data Pass-back
- Verify Tag Implementation Using the Quantcast Tag Inspector
Q Pixel in Tag Commander
1. Log in to Tag Commander and click Add Tag.
2. Filter by “Quantcast,” select “Quantcast – Conversion Activity,” and then click on Add Tag:
3. Enter your P-Code in the field marked #P-CODE#.
4. Place the Conversion Page label <INSERT CONVERSION LABEL>.
💡 Tip: The Conversion Page Label allows Quantcast to collect your conversion activity separately from the rest of the page data. This is required for campaign configuration.
5. Add Revenue, Order ID, and other variables by selecting from the dropdown menus.
💡 Tip: See section Adding Variables for Data Pass-back at the end of the document if you have not created variables yet.
6. Click Rules and then Perimeters.
7. Select your Conversion Perimeter.
See section “Creating a Trigger” if you do not have a conversion page trigger.
Your Quantcast conversion activity tag should only be fired on the confirmation/thank you page. To do that, you can refine the perimeter to fire the tag on that page only.
8. Select Add Perimeter.
Your Conversion Activity Tag setup is complete!
Move on to the next step to finish setting up the rest of your tags.
Tagging Remaining Site Activity
1. In Tag Commander, click Add Tag.
2. Filter by “Quantcast,” select “Quantcast – Easy Tag template,” and then click Add Tag.
3. Enter your P-Code in the field marked #P-CODE# and click Save.
4. Click on Rules and then Perimeters.
5. Set Perimeter to All Pages.
6. In Constraint, define a “URL does not contain” rule for the thank you/conversion page and apply it to the Easy Tag.
7. When finished, you should see the Easy Tag set to fire on all pages and the Conversion activity set to fire on the thank you page on the Rules menu.
8. When finished defining the firing rules, select the Generate tab.
9. Select the Activation checkboxes for your Quantcast tags.
10. Select Generate.
💡 Tips: The number next to the button indicates the version number.
You can review the Test menu to ensure that your setup is working.
11. On the final Deploy menu, select the latest version you generated, select your production environment, and click the blue Deploy button.
Additional Instructions: Creating Rules
Rules govern when or on what pages a tag is fired. This allows you the flexibility to deploy one or more tags on specific pages.
1. On the Rules menu, select Perimeters and click Add Perimeter.
2. Select URL from the top menu. Select If URL Equals from the menu on the left to identify the page for which you want to create a trigger. In this example, we are using a page URL that contains “www.quantcast.com/thankyou”.
3. Select the tag(s) that must be fired in this scenario and press Save.
4. On the Summary tab you will be able to see in which perimeters the tags will fire and if there are any associated constraints.
Your rule is now ready to use!
Adding Variables for Data Pass-back
Added variables provide additional information about your website visitors' actions for reporting and/or targeting. Once tracked, parameters can be used to further define custom audiences you create based on a pixel event, or to track special metrics such as Return On Ad Spend (ROAS).
1. On the Options Menu of the interface, click on External variables.
2. Click Add Variable.
3. Fill in the external variable fields: Name, Category, Type, and Description.
For this example we will set up the order ID on the confirmation page.
4. Click Add.
5. Back on the Options menu, click the Download button. A popup window will appear, providing you with your sample data layer code. You can either copy the code to your clipboard or download it by clicking on the blue Download button.
6. Click Save on the upper right corner once this is complete.
7. Add the code to your confirmation page, replacing the quotation marks after “order_id:” with the variable containing the order ID value.
Your variable is ready to use! (Repeat the steps above to add additional variables.)
Verify Tag Implementation
The Quantcast Tag Inspector is a Google Chrome plugin that checks whether your Quantcast Tag and Audience Segments are implemented correctly. Install the Inspector to review individual pages of your site, and make sure the audience segments are firing correctly. For more information, see the Inspect Your Tag help document.
You are done! Please check the Q Pixel app to confirm that your tags are collecting data. If you are not seeing any activity, reach out to email@example.com or submit a Help Center request at www.quantcast.com. For more information on tagging, see our Tagging Overview article.