Rule Based Events
Event tracking allows marketers to isolate key actions taken by users throughout the customer journey. One mechanism for tracking events is a Rule Based Event. Rule Events are configured based on URL conditions and can be added to any page as long as the Q Pixel base tag is implemented. Our tagging best practice article includes guidelines on recommended rule events.
Creating Rule Based Events
1. In order to add a Rule Event, navigate to Q Pixel from the Global Navigation.
2. Select Add Event
3. Choose Rule-Based for the event type.
4. Enter a name for your event.
5. Choose the Conditions that apply. You can apply more than one condition by clicking the Add button.
- For the URL https://www.quantcast.com/home/ , the following is true:
- URL = https://www.quantcast.com/home/
- Domain = quantcast.com
- Path = /home/
Note: The URL is the web address in its entirety. The domain is the website, in this example "quantcast.com". The Path refers to the specific section of the website, "/home/".
Note: The rules are case sensitive, i.e. "thank-you" does not equal "Thank-you."
Note: The Equals condition is usually only used for homepages as it is the most restrictive condition. The Contains condition, on the other hand, can be very broad.
- For Homepages URLs, the below condition can be used as long as the url equals the domain:
- Multiple conditions can be added to the same Rule Event with an AND relationship when you select ADD. For this Rule Event to fire, all conditions would need to be met.
If you want the same label to fire on different URLs, you need to create two or more rules.
- A Rule Event can be set on a button as long as there is a button id and the tag is firing on the page where the button is located. The following conditions are available:
⚠️ Adding an additional data pass-back tag to buttons or conversion pages is recommended as any URL restructuring could cause a Rule Event to drop off.
Examples of Rules
|Fire on Homepage||https://www.quantcast.com/home||Homepage||URL equals https://www.quantcast.com/home or PATH equals /home|
|Fire on product pages||https://www.quantcast.com/products/measure-audience-insights/, https://www.quantcast.com/products/insights/||Products||Path contains /products/, or, URL contains /products/|
|Fire on help center pages||https://help.quantcast.com/hc/en-us, https://help.quantcast.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000911088-Overview-for-Publishers-||Help Center||URL starts with https://help.quantcast.com/|
- The status of a Rule Event will change to Active as soon as there is a site visitor to the labeled page. The Total Impressions indicate how many times the event has fired.
- In order to verify that an event is active, navigate to the vertical ellipsis on the top right and select Verify URL to test a specific site page.
Using Rule Based Events
Rule events can be used within campaigns as conversion, lookalike and/or suppression events.
In addition to their use in campaign execution, Rule Based Events allow you to explore audience insights more granularly. The events will populate in the Pixel Audiences tab which is in the Audiences screen of the platform.
When creating an audience from scratch, you can also use Rule Events to drill down to a specific audience such as cart abandoners by utilizing AND or EXCLUDE conditions.
When creating an audience, Rule Events can be used to drill down to a specific audience such as cart abandoners by utilizing AND or EXCLUDE conditions.